Specific Import Rules for Cattle by State
General Import Rules for Cattle
- Official Identification:
- "Pending" official ID or partial ID numbers on paperwork are not acceptable.
- If an animal has more than one form of official identification, all the IDs must be listed on the certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI).
- Test results
- Must be current and complete.
- Must not be out-of-date or "pending."
- Must be included on the CVI.
- If you wish to import animals from several different states, or if the animals have been in Wisconsin for fewer than 120 days, please contact us.
- No M-branded bovines/cattle from other states may be imported to Wisconsin except directly to a slaughter facility. For import of M-branded cattle imported directly from Mexico, please contact us.
- For bovines that are part of a rodeo, circus, or menagerie, please also visit the circuses, rodeos, and menageries webpage.
- For animals that are an exotic ruminant species, such as yaks and water buffalo, please visit the exotic species webpage.
- Out-of-state organizers and Wisconsin participants of consignment sales that may include animals from Michigan's Modified Accredited zone should visit the Michigan MA bovine import page or call the import coordinator to discuss tuberculosis testing and import requirements.