Reciprocal Applicator Licenses

​​​​​​​​​​If you are certified as a pesticide applicator in a different state, you may receive a reciprocal certification and license that allows you to apply pesticides as a commercial or private applicator without taking a Wisconsin exam if you:

  • Are a resident of the state where you are certified​
  • Are certified in a category equivalent to a Wisconsin category
  • Have passed a closed-book exam in the past 5 years with a 70 percent score or higher
  • Are able to apply restricted-use pesticides
  • Don't have any conditions or restrictions on your certification in your home state
  • Are employed by a business holding an active Wisconsin pesticide application business license, if you are applying as a for-hire commercial applicator.

Licenses are good for 1 year, January 1-December 31, and cost $115 ($75 for certification and $40 for license)

If you do not qualify for a reciprocal certification and license, you may complete the process for Wisconsin certification and licensing.

You can apply for a license online, or download a paper application. Links to either method are available at right. If you apply online, note that there are separate links for different situations -- if you are working for hire, not for hire, or for a government agency.​

​Want to save money and get your license sooner? Get certified in Wisconsin by purchasing training materials and testing online or at one of hundreds of Pearson Vue testing centers. Apply for a WI Individual Commercial Applicator License ($40 annually) or a Reciprocal License ($115 annually.)

Total five-year cost of WI Certification and License: $295​

Total five-year cost of Reciprocal License: $575

Back to certification and licensing page​​​