The apiary program offers free, voluntary inspections to all Wisconsin beekeepers. We have two apiary (bee) inspectors available for inspections May through October. Inspections are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
To Schedule an Inspection (May through October):
Inspector for Northern Wisconsin
Inspector for Southern Wisconsin
If you need an aApiary permit or a certificate of apiary inspection for out-of-state movement, schedule an inspection with one of our inspectors and then contact the state apiarist to issue a permit or certificate. There is a flat fee of $50 for permits/certificates. Most states require certification to bring in bee hives.
Liz Meils, State Apiarist
P.O. Box 8911
2811 Agriculture Dr.
Madison, WI 53708-8911
(608) 224-4656 (fax)
What to Expect for an Inspection
- Beekeeper should be present for inspection
- Inspector will ask about hive maintenance and history
- A percentage of hives will be inspected for mites, symptoms of viruses, foulbrood diseases, and exotic pests and diseases
- Beekeeper assists with the lifting of hive bodies
- For migratory inspections, hives must be accessible in the yards (not yet loaded on trucks)
Back to main apiary page