Livestock Feed and Pet Food

​​​​​​​​​​​​The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture licenses commercial feed manufacturing and distribution. This includes livestock feed, pet food including homemade pet treats, and feed ingredients. Regulation protects the human food chain and animal health, protects consumers against fraud, and provides businesses with an even playing field.

Save the Date!

DATCP will host a series of commercial feed webinars in 2020. The webinars will be educational in nature, and offer an opportunity for commercial feed manufacturers, labelers, and distributors to learn or review many aspects of the Wisconsin commercial feed program: tonnage reporting, licensing, sampling data, label requirements, and inspections. Instead of attending the entire presentation, feel free to participate in portions of the webinar specific to your responsibilities related to animal feed distribution, labeling, and/or manufacturing. Please share this message with anyone inside or outside of your company that might be interested in attending.

The tentative agenda for all webinars:

1. Tonnage and Licensing (15 min.)

2. Sampling (15 min.)

3. Inspections (20 to 30 min.)

4. Labeling (10 min.)

5. Questions (30 min.)


Pet (Dog and Cat) Food and Treats

  • Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 10:00 am to 11:30 am (CST)


Non-medicated feed (includes human food byproducts, single ingredients, and specialty pet foods)

  •  Tuesday, February 25, 2020, 9:30 am to 11:00 am (CST)


Medicated feed

  •  Wednesday, February 19, 2020, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm (CST)

  •  Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm (CST)

  •  Wednesday, March 11, 2020, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm (CST)

  •  Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm (CST)


Commercial feed licensing and tonnage reporting

Medicated feeds 

Veterinary feed directives

Feed certificates of free sale​​​​

Making pet treats for sale

Using spent grains from distilling and brewing for feed

Organizations, agencies and other reference materials