Hemp Pilot Research Program


  • Due to federal changes, the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) is in the process of extending the current hemp program to September 30, 2021. Learn more about this change.​​
  • 30-day harvest notice: You must notify DATCP​ 30 days before you harvest each lot of hemp so DATCP has time to schedule testing. Use the online process at MyDATCP to submit your 30-day harvest notifications.​
  • Sampling: Your lot of hemp must contain 15 or more female plants in order for DATCP to take samples for testing. The regulatory sample must be taken before you can harvest each lot of hemp, and is a collection of the top two inches of flower from at least 15 female plants per lot. The exact number of cuttings per lot varies based on the size and the uniformity of a lot.
  • Submit documents online: You can no longer email location changes, planting reports, or 30-day harvest notifications. If you have a hemp license and a 2020 annual registration, you can submit these documents using MyDATCP​.​​

Hemp Pilot Research Program​

Introdu​ction to hemp program​ (PowerPoint)

DATCP's Hemp Pilot Research Program requires both hemp growers and processors to obtain one-time licenses, and register each year they intend to plant and/or process hemp. Growers and processors must also pass criminal background checks and pay fees to participate in the program. As participants in the research program, growers and processors are required to:

  • Destroy crops that test higher than 0.3% total THC, as determined by regulatory testing.
  • Obtain a hemp grower or processor license.
  • Pass a crimina​l background check.
  • Pay license fees and/or annual registration fees.
  • Submit a signed research agreement and a research plan.
  • Submit a planting report within 30 days of planting their hemp crop.
  • Provide DATCP with a 30-day notification of anticipated harvest date.
  • Provide access to DATCP hemp inspectors to obtain a hemp sample for each lot*.
  • Pay a $250 sampling fee for each lot* sampled by DATCP.
  • Submit a final production/processing report at the end of the growing season and prior to registering for the following growing season.

*A contiguous area in a field, greenhouse, facility, or growing structure containing the same variety or strain of hemp ​throughout the area.

There is inherent risk associated with participation in a research program focusing on a new crop and with participation in this research pilot program. There is no guarantee that your crop will pass the regulatory THC test.

State and Federal Laws

Emergency administrative rule (Wis. Admin. Co​d​e Ch.​ ATCP 22​) specifies the parameters of Wisconsin's hemp pilot program pursuant to 2017 Wis. Act 100​​​ which became effective March 2, 2018. Authority for the program is also found in the 2018 Farm Bill and 2019 Wis. Act 68​. The pilot research program is permitted under federal law (2014 Farm Bill and 2018 Farm Bill)​​​ as described in 2017 Wis. Act 100, 2019 Wis. Act 68, and Wis. Admin. Code § ATCP 22.

​​Frequently Asked Questions


USDA – U.S. Domestic Hemp Production Program

Food and Drug Administration statement on CBD (December 2018)

Newsmakers: Preparing for Second Hemp Crop​ (March 19 WisconsinEye interview with Secretary Brad Pfaff and legislators)

Websites for hemp programs in other states

Attorney General's Statement on CBD

Production Information

DATCP/UWEX/Michael Fields webinar on hemp agronomics​

University of Wisconsin-Madison, Division ​of ​Extension hemp information​

Canadian Hemp Trade Alliance Hemp Production eGuide

Pesticides allowed for use on hemp

What variety of hemp should I g​row?​​​