Exotic Species Movement

Importing Exotic Species from Outside Wisconsin

Most species covered here require the following:

  • Certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) - we no longer accept the computer-generated APHIS 7001 form which has no preprinted CVI number (the older multi-copy forms with printed numbers are still accepted). 
    • Alternative forms (some options may not be available in your state, check with your State Veterinarian to verify; payment be required; if your state has another option or you are unsure if the CVI is accepted, call the Import Coordinator):
      • Electronic forms from Global Vet Link www.globalvetlink.com.
      • Electronic forms available through the mCVI app on your mobile device.
      • Electronic forms available through your State Veterinarian's office.
      • The Texas Veterinary Medical Association (TVMA) CVI for imports from Texas.
      • Paper copies available from your State Veterinarian's office – we will accept large animal forms for pets and wild animals if ok with your State Veterinarian’s office.

  • Import permit
    • If the animals are part of a rodeo, circus, or menagerie and will be in Wisconsin for a limited time, use the Circus, Rodeo & Menagerie Import Permit application.
    • If the animals a​re privately owned and relocating to Wisconsin, use the General Import Permit application.
    • If you are not sure which form to use, or you have other questions, call 608-224-4874 weekdays between 7:45 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Central Time
  • Proof that they meet any testing requirements (see species to the right)

Note: Aside from the prohibited species (refer to the Wild Animal Movement webpage), DATCP does not determine if it is legal to own a particular exotic animal species. We strongly encourage you to contact officials at all levels of the local government in the destination jurisdiction (county, township, and municipality) to determine their regulations on animal ownership. We also encourage you to contact the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources captive wildlife for more information.

Moving exotic animals within Wisconsin

Wisconsin does not have specific requirements for moving exotic animals within Wisconsin.

Exporting exotic animals out of Wisconsin

​Wisconsin does not have specific export requirements for exotic animals. Please contact the state or nation of destination to learn the import requirements.​