In 2021, the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection's Weights and Measures inspectors conducted 315,166 inspections at 6,830 business locations, including:
Grades of Fuel Tested
* Percent of time a consumer would be charged accurately or undercharged
** Includes all overcharges and undercharges
Total Samples Tested
DACP's weights and measures team conducted
315,166 inspections at
6,830 business locations statewide in 2021. Inspection results followed the trends of recent years:
- Wisconsin gas pumps continued to provide the correct amount of fuel, or even over-deliver, in nearly 100% of our tests in 2021.
- Prices at the register were also accurate or in the customer's favor in 98.3% of our tests.
- Tests DATCP conducted on scales used to weigh products sold by weight (such as meat, deli, and produce items) were accurate or measured in the customer's favor almost 100% of the time.
- Packaged products sold by weight (such as ground beef) met the declared weight on the package or were overweight in 98.3% of tests.
When inaccurate measurements or prices are identified, violations are reported to store management and orders are issued to correct the problem. In 2021, DATCP inspectors issued 5,765 of these orders and conducted 846 re-inspections to ensure that corrections were made.
If necessary, DATCP can also take steps toward higher-level enforcement. In 2021, civil forfeiture settlements totaling $204,277 were collected from companies as a result of weights and measures inspections including fuel quality violations, product quantity misrepresentations, and weights and measures service company violations.
Previous Annual Inspection Results
Bureau of Weights and Measures
(608) 224-4942, option 4