Pet Movement To/From Wisconsin

​​​​​​​​Choose a topic:​​​​​​

What is considered a household pet?​

A household pet is an animal from a traditional domestic companion animal species, such as:

  • Dog
  • Domestic cat
  • Ferret
  • Chinchilla
  • Hedgehog
  • Pet bird
  • Rabbit
  • Domestic rodents:
    • Gerbil
    • Guinea pig
    • Hamster
    • Domestic mouse or rat

Household pets do not include:

What is considered an exotic pet?

An exotic pet is any companion animal other than a household pet. See the exotic animal movement webpage for requirements.

Some animal species that have been kept as pets may not be imported into Wisconsin because they are known carriers of highly contagious diseases. A list of these animals can be found on the wild animal movement webpage​ under "prohibited animals."

Note: It is not determined on the state level if it is legal to own a particular animals species. DATCP strongly encourages you to contact your local government to verify its— regulations on animal ownership. Some animals may require permits from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.

Requirements for Importing Household Pets to Wisconsin

Importing refers to animals brought to Wisconsin for events, shows, vacation travel, or animals relocating permanently to the state.

Import Requirements for Household Pets

You must provide a certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) when importing a household pet. A CVI is required for animals entering Wisconsin by any mode of transportation, such as automobile, airplane, or rail.

* DATCP no longer accepts the computer-generated APHIS 7001 form, which has no pre-printed CVI number. Older, multicopy forms with printed numbers are still accepted.

Alternative CVI forms are listed below; payment may be required. Some options may not be available in your state. Call your state veterinarian's office to verify. If your state veterinarian's office has another option not listed here, or if you are unsure if the CVI is accepted, contact the DATCP's import coordinator.

  • Electronic forms from any of the following: Global Vet Link, your state veterinarian's office.
  • Paper copies available from your state veterinarian's office. DATCP accepts large animal forms for pets and wild animals if allowed by the state of origin.
  • For imports from Texas, in addition to the above, the Texas Veterinary Medical Association (TVMA) CVI.

CVIs must include:

  • Complete physical origin and destination addresses.
  • Age of animal, species, breed, and sex.
  • Number of animals.
  • Purpose of movement.
  • Current veterinarian-administered rabies vaccination for dogs and domestic cats 5 months and older with the date of vaccination and revaccination due date or indication of one- or three-year vaccine clearly written on the CVI. Wisconsin accepts both valid one- and three-year rabies vaccines, which must be administered by a licensed veterinarian.
  • For dogs, ​see additional req​uirements below.

Not required for household pets:

  • Testing
  • Statements on the CVI.
  • Import permit number.

See additional requirements for pet pigs, poultry, wild animals (including captive wild animals), and exotic species (including hybrids).​​

How to submit a CVI:

CVIs written for animal imports into Wisconsin must be sent to DATCP's Division of Animal Health. This can be done in the following ways:

  • Electronic CVIs, like Global Vet Link or an eCVI provided by the state of origin, are automatically and electronically submitted. No additional action is required after CVI submission.
  • If paper CVIs are submitted to a state veterinarian's office in the state of origin and that office is forwarding them to Wisconsin, no further action is required.
  • If submitting paper CVIs directly to Wisconsin, email or mail to DATCP-DAH, P.O. Box 8911, Madison, WI 53708-8911.

Additional Import Requirements for Dogs

Heartworm-positive dogs

Any dog found to be positive on a heartworm test in the state of origin may not be imported into Wisconsin until it has completed the appropriate heartworm treatment protocol as recommended by the American Heartworm Society. After the treatment is completed, a veterinarian in the state of origin must record on the CVI that the dog was treated for heartworm and record all treatment dates.

Dogs from African Swine Fever affected countries

Dogs imported into Wisconsin originating from or having traveled through a country in which African Swine Fever (ASF) has been confirmed within the past five years, including the People's Republic of China, also require:

  • An import permit (use the General Import Permit Application)
  • A post-import quarantine (see below for quarantine terms)

See a current ​list of ASF affected countriesand see the USDA's f​act sheet​ for information about the disease​.

The quarantine will remain in effect until canceled by official written notice from the state veterinarian or an authorized representative. The terms of the quarantine include:

  • Not removing the animal(s) from the place of quarantine unless permitted in advance by the state veterinarian or an authorized representative in writing;
  • Keeping the animal(s) in an area within the place of quarantine that is easily cleaned and disinfected;
  • Isolating the animal(s) from the public and other animals;
  • Prohibiting visitors to access or contact the animal(s);
  • Providing veterinary-prescribed appropriate tick treatment for all quarantined dog(s);
  • Disassembling, cleaning by thoroughly removing all organic material, washing using a detergent, and disinfecting with bleach solution (specified below), any animal carriers and food/water bowls upon arrival into Wisconsin.
  • Using a disinfectant solution of 3/4 cup of chlorine bleach mixed with 1 gallon of water and, when applying, allowing the disinfectant solution to be in contact with surfaces for 10-15 minutes before thoroughly rinsing it off with water;
  • Double-bagging any transport-associated material(s) and animal feces and other waste incurred during travel and for the first five days after arrival of the animal(s) into Wisconsin. Bringing the material to the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (445 Easterday Lane, Madison, WI 53706) for disposal by incineration at the importer's expense at the end of the quarantine period. Waste packaging must be approved by a district veterinarian assigned to the case prior to transport for disposal;
  • Notifying the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, (608) 262-5432, to make arrangements before transporting material for incineration; and
  • Complying with any additional requirements that may be needed due to non-compliance with the provisions of the quarantine or indications of disease risk.

The quarantine will remain in effect for a minimum of 10 days. However, the actual length of any quarantine may be longer if the dog shows signs of illness or there are any issues of non-compliance with the conditions of the quarantine, including any attached written protocols.

The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) may inspect to ensure the animals or products quarantined under this quarantine order are being held in compliance with the terms of the order.​

Additional Import Requirements for Household Pets from Another Country

For household pets being brought to Wisconsin from outside the U.S., contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention​ (CDC) at (404) 639-3311 for requirements. Also see the U.S. Department of ​Agriculture​ (USDA) website ​to find any information not covered by the CDC.

In addition to any requirements from CDC and USDA, household pets being brought into Wisconsin from outside the U.S. must meet the regular import requirements for Wisconsin. This includes requirements for rabies vaccination for dogs and cats. Any health documentation used by the country of origin will be accepted for international movement.

Requirements for Moving Pets Within Wisconsin

With the exception of heartworm positive dogs, Wisconsin does not have specific testing or paperwork requirements for moving household pets within the state. Make sure to see separate requirements for moving swine and poultry.

Heartworm-positive dogs within Wisconsin

Any dog in Wisconsin found to be positive on a heartworm test may not be sold, transferred, or adopted until it has completed the appropriate heartworm treatment protocol as recommended by the American Heartworm Society. After the treatment is completed, a veterinarian must record on a CVI that the dog was treated for heartworm and record all treatment dates.

An untreated positive dog in Wisconsin may only be sold, transferred, or adopted if all of the following conditions are met:

  • Full disclosure of the dog's condition is provided by the dog seller/shelter to the buyer/recipient/adopter.
  • A signed statement is provided by the buyer/recipient/adopter and submitted to the Wisconsin state veterinarian or designee stating that the dog will be treated with the appropriate treatment.
  • The buyer/recipient/adopter's statement is approved by the state veterinarian or designee.

A copy of the approved statement will be kept in animal records maintained by DATCP.

Requirements for Exporting Pets out of Wisconsin​

Wisconsin does not have specific export requirements for pets. You will need to contact the state or nation of destination to verify its import requirements.

If you are planning to take a companion animal out of the U.S., information is available from the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) for international animal export regulations.

Most CVI for animals leaving the U.S. for another country must be signed by a USDA veterinarian (not the Wisconsin state veterinarian). Call the USDA Madison office at (608) 662-0630 to confirm your CVI is complete before you travel to the Madison USDA office to get the signature. USDA veterinarians will not sign incomplete or inaccurate CVIs.

APHIS 7001 form use

Wisconsin veterinarians can no longer use the computer-generated APHIS 7001 form for intra- and interstate movement. However, if USDA or the destination country has directed use of this form for international movement, it should be used.

Wisconsin accepts the older, multi-copy 7001 forms with preprinted numbers for intra- and interstate movement. You must contact the state of destination to ensure it will accept this form.