Animal Movement Permits

This information is current as of January 22, 2018​

​​​​​Animal Import Permit – Instructions

Import permits are required for imports of the following animals or business categories:

  • Cervids
  • Cattle, American bison, and goats from TB Modified Accredited (MA) states or MA regions in states with split TB status
  • Swine that do not originate from a herd with a negative Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome (PRRS) and Swine Enteric Coronavirus Disease (SECD) test within 90 days prior to import
  • Research and laboratory swine
  • Exotic ruminants
  • Other exotic species, including exotics kept as pets 
  • Sexually-intact dogs purchased or obtained from out-of-state auctions​​
  • Fish​ (Please follow this link for the separate fish import permit process)
  • Wild animals
  • Livestock species entering the state as rodeo stock (permits are not required for horses owned by individual rodeo participants)
  • Animals entering the state as part of a multi-species menagerie
  • Animals entering the state as part of a circus
  • Animals imported to a zoo or aquarium

The Application Process

The import permit process is conducted by fax or email rather than over the phone. To apply for an import permit, choose the appropriate import permit application form, print and fill out the form completely. All items with an asterisk (*) are required. When you have completed the form, fax it along with the current certificate(s) of veterinary inspection (CVI) to (608) 224-4871 or scan both documents and email them to Permit applications are processed Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) from 7:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no fee for an import permit (except for some fish permits).

If everything is in order, a permit number will be returned by fax or email. Be sure to write your permit number on your CVI(s). Import permits are good for thirty (30) days from the date they are issued, so they can be applied for in advance of the shipment date.

Plan Ahead for Weekend Sales

It is essential to plan ahead and allow time for processing. Permits are usually issued the same workday they are received, but the process may take longer during busy seasons or if the ​​submitted paperwork is not complete. Also, permits are not issued after business hours, on weekends, or holidays.​

For weekend sales of cattle from the TB MA zone in Michigan or swine that may not originate from a herd that has tested negative to PRRS and SECD within 90 days prior to import or that may be purchased from a commindled sale at which all swine attending the sale were not tested for PRRS and SECD within 90 days prior to the sale. Sale organizers or their veterinarians can obtain a blanket import permit in advance.

Import permits for some swine imports are effective as of February 1, 2018. Please visit the Swine page to learn more. The swine import permit application can be found here.​