Wild Animal Movement

​​Importing Wild Animals From Outside Wisconsin

Animals classified as wild include all members of non-domesticated species, including animals born and raised in captivity.

To bring into Wisconsin an animal of a wild or exotic species, you will need:

  • Certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) with complete physical destination address - we no longer accept the computer-generated APHIS 7001 form which has no preprinted CVI number (the older multi-copy forms with printed numbers are still accepted).
    • Alternative forms (some options may not be available in your state, check with your State Veterinarian to verify; payment be required; if your state has another option or you are unsure if the CVI is accepted, call the Import Coordinator):
      • Electronic forms from Global Vet Link www.globalvetlink.com.
      • Electronic forms available through the mCVI app on your mobile device.
      • Electronic forms available through your State Veterinarian's office.
      • The Texas Veterinary Medical Association (TVMA) CVI for imports from Texas.
      • Paper copies available from your State Veterinarian's office – we will accept large animal forms for pets and wild animals.
  • Import permit
  • If you have a menagerie that includes native wild animals, non-native waterfowl, or harmful wild animals as defined by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, you must obtain a temporary nonresident exhibit permit before you can apply for an import permit. Call 1-888-WDNRINFO (936-7463) or visit the DNR website for more information.
  • If there is a current vesicular stomatitis diagnosis or quarantine in the state of origin, effective May 30, 2014, Wisconsin no longer requires a permit or special statements.
  • Some exotic species require testing
Note: Aside from the prohibited species noted below, DATCP does not determine if it is legal to own a particular wild animal species. We strongly encourage you to contact officials at all levels of the local government in the destination jurisdiction (county, township, and municipality) to determine their regulations on animal ownership. We also encourage you to contact the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources' captive wildlife for more information.

Harmful Wild Animals

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources may have additional permitting requirements. If an animal import requires DNR authorization under s. 169.11 (1) (c), Stats., DATCP will not issue an import permit until the DNR has given that authorization.

Prohibited Animals

These animals may not be brought into Wisconsin:

  • Pr​airie dogs

Any of the following African-origin rodent species:

  • Tree squirrels
  • Rope squirrels
  • Dormice
  • Gambian giant pouched rats
  • Brush-tailed porcupine
  • Striped mice

Moving Wild Animals within Wisconsin

Wisconsin does not have specific requirements for moving wild animals within the state of Wisconsin.

Exporting Wild Animals Out of Wisconsin

​Wisconsin does not have specific export requirements for wild animals. Please contact the state or nation of destination to learn the import requirements.