A recreational and educational camp (rec-ed camp) is defined as a premise, including temporary and permanent structures, that is operated as an overnight living quarters where both food and lodging, or facilities for food and lodging are provided for children or adults, or both children and adults for a planned program of recreation or education, and that is offered free of charge or for payment of a fee by a person, or by the state, or a local unit of government.
When people think of rec-ed camps they generally associate them with the terms summer camp or youth camps where children are dropped off for a week or more at a time. While these type of operations are typical of rec-ed camps, they do not encompass all camp models.
- Each license issued by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) expires June 30 of each year.
- License dates extend from July 1 of one year through June 30 of the following year.
- If a license is granted after April 1 of a license year, that license will extend to June 30 of the following year.
- Example: If a business is licensed by DATCP on April 1, 2022, then its license will expire June 30, 2023.
- Renewal fees for existing establishments shall be submitted to DATCP before June 30 each year.
Type of Facility
Annual License Fee
One-Time Pre-Inspection Fee
- To obtain a license through DATCP, call (608) 224-4923 or email our licensing specialists.
- The licensing specialist will get you the information you need and explain the process steps.
Camper Health History
Application for recreational course approval: