Recreational and Educational Camps

A recreational and educational camp (rec-ed camp) is defined as a premise, including temporary and permanent structures, that is operated as an​ overnight living quarters where both food and lodging, or facilities for food and lodging are provided for children or adults, or both children and adults for a planned program of recreation or education, and that is offered free of charge or for payment of a fee by a person, or by the state, or a local unit of government.

When people think of rec-ed camps they generally associate them with the terms summer camp or youth camps where children are dropped off for a week or more at a time. While these type of operations are typical of rec-ed camps, they do not encompass all camp models.​


  • Each license issued by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) expires June 30 of each year.
  • License dates extend from July 1 of one year through June 30 of the following year.
  • If a license is granted after April 1 of a license year, that license will extend to June 30 of the following year. 
    • Example: If a business is licensed by DATCP on April 1, 2022, then its license will expire June 30, 2023.
  • Renewal fees for existing establishments shall be submitted to DATCP before June 30 each year.


​Type of Facility

​Annual License ​Fee

​One-Time Pre-Inspection Fee

​Rec-ed camp




  1. To obtain a license through DATCP, call (608) 224-4923 or email ​our licensing specialists.
  2. The licensing specialist will get you the information you need and explain the process steps.​


Camper Health History

Application for recreational course approval: