A recreational and educational camp (rec ed camp) is defined as a premises, including temporary and permanent structures, that are operated as overnight living quarters, where food or lodging are provided for a camper. The camp provides a combination of planned program activities established for the primary purpose of an indoor or outdoor group living experience for campers with social, recreational, spiritual, and educational objectives during one or more seasons of the year. A rec ed camp is advertised or offered free of charge or for payment of a fee by a person, or by the state or local government. The updated “with hospitality" license structure accounts for when camps extend their services beyond campers such as family camps, adult retreats, wedding parties, or various online rental platforms utilizing the same camp structures extending the use of the beautiful camp properties throughout the state.
When people think of rec-ed camps they generally associate them with the terms summer camp or youth camps where children are dropped off for a week or more at a time. While these type of operations are typical of rec-ed camps, they do not encompass all camp models.
- Each license issued by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) expires June 30 of each year.
- License dates extend from July 1 of one year through June 30 of the following year.
- If a license is granted after April 1 of a license year, that license will extend to June 30 of the following year.
- Example: If a business is licensed by DATCP on April 1, 2022, then its license will expire June 30, 2023.
- Renewal fees for existing establishments shall be submitted to DATCP before June 30 each year.
|Type of Facility||License Fee||Preinspection Fee||First Reinspection or Administrative Follow−Up Fee||Second and Subsequent Reinspection or Administrative Follow−Up Fee||Late Fee|
Rec ed camp owners can determine their license fee by using this calculator.
- To obtain a license through DATCP, call (608) 224-4923 or email our licensing specialists.
- The licensing specialist will get you the information you need and explain the process steps.
Camper Health History
Application for recreational course approval:
ATCP 78 Q&A Session #1
ATCP 78 Q&A Session #2