Shipping Plant Material to Another State

​​​​​​​​​​​​When Wisconsin plants and plant products are shipped to another state, the destination state may require that the plants or plant products be inspected and certified that they are free of insects or diseases.

The paperwork that accompanies the plants or plant products is called a plant health certificate (PHC), or in some cases, a state phytosanitary certificate or "state phyto." Both are issued based on inspections by Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) staff. 

Plant Health Certificates 

Plant health certificates (PHCs) are used to move plants or plant products, such as nursery stock or Christmas trees, to another state (interstate movement) and are good for one year. Nurseries and other plant shippers can apply for a PHC on the same application they use to apply for their nursery licenses, or by contacting us.

You may also need additional certifications, such as a Japanese Beetle compliance agreement for shipping nursery stock west of the Mississippi River.

State Phytosanitary Certificates

Some states may require a state phytosanitary certificate instead of a plant health certificate to move plants or plant products to another state, especially California, Hawaii, and Alaska, as well as Puerto Rico.

Each state phyto costs $50 and can be used for only one shipment. You must apply for state phytos using the USDA's online service Phytosanitary Certificate Issuance and Tracking, or PCIT​.

Accessing PCIT Instructions.pdf and how to apply for a phyto.

​Compliance Agreements​

​​Required to ship out, or bring in, certain plants or plant products (or regulated articles). Compliance agreements are valid for one year and must be renewed annually as needed. There is no fee to enter into a compliance agreement. Compliance agreements are generally pest-specific, so depending on what plant products you move, you may need multiple agreements​.

<<​Back to main shipping page​​