World Dairy Expo FAQs

​​​​​This information is current as of July 1, 2023​.​

►​ Are there special “import" requirements for bringing animals from within Wisconsin to the World Dairy Expo?

No. ​DATCP has no special test or paperwork requirements for Wisconsin-origin cattle traveling within Wisconsin. However, you will ​need to meet the entry requirements for the World Dairy Expo.

The exception is Wisconsin-origin catt​le that have traveled to Michigan's federal Modified Accredited zone (Alpena, Alcona, Montmorency, and Oscoda counties) within 90 days prior to the start of the Expo. Call (608) 224-4874 from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday to learn more.

► Are the World Dairy Expo's testing and ID requirements the same as Wisconsin's import requirements?

The World Dairy Expo may have additional requirements beyond what Wisconsin requires. For more information on the World Dairy Expo's specific requirements, please consult the premium book.

 May I bring in cattle from outside the United States?

Yes. As long as you meet the import requirements established by the USDA, your animals may attend the World Dairy Expo. The information can be obtained from the National Center for Import and Export (NCIE). The NCIE's import center phone number is (301) 851-3300, select option 2.

 Have the official identification requirements changed?

The official ID requirements are the same as 2022. Acceptable forms of ID are USDA 840 RFID and visual tags and Canadian 124 RFID tags (The official numbers on these tags contain 15 digits with the first three being “840" or “124" respectively). Manufacturer coded RFID (a 15 digit number with the first three digits in the 900 series, such as 982 or 985) is acceptable only if it is applied prior to March 11, 2015. The World Dairy Expo has information on what forms of identification will be accepted. 

 Do all ID tags have to be RFID?

No. World Dairy Expo will accept visual forms of USDA 840 tags as noted above.

 May I take my cattle to the Minnesota State Fair and then to the World Dairy Expo?

Yes. Find import requirements for the World Dairy Ex​po 20​23 here.

 Are there special import rules for cattle from Michigan?

Yes. There are now two sets of regulations for importing cattle from Michigan. One set is for the federal Modified Accredited (MA) zone consisting of the following counties: Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, and Oscoda. The other set of rules applies to the rest of the state, which is the federal TB-free zone.

 May I sell cattle from Michigan at the World Dairy Expo?

For cattle from the counties in the federal Modified Accredited (MA) zone (Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, and Oscoda), the previous restrictions are still in place. Cattle from the MA zone may be sold at the World Dairy Expo ONLY if the animals return to their state of origin after the Expo and then travel to the new owner on a new Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI or health certificate). Make sure the animals meet the import requirements of the state of destination.

Cattle from the counties in the federal TB-free zone may be sold at the World Dairy Expo as long as they meet Wisconsin import requirements and the Expo's requirements for sale as described in the premium book.

​► Do I need to get an import permit for my cattle?

You will need a permit in certain circumstances as outlined below:

  1. Yes, if you are bringing cattle from Michigan's Modified Accredited zone (Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, and Oscoda counties).
  2. No, if you ​are bringing cattle from a region with an active quarantine for vesicular stomatitis.*
  3. No, if you are from Michigan's federal TB-free zone or Texas and your animals meet the import requirements for your state and are NOT part of a TB-positive or exposed herd investigation. If the animals are part of a TB-positive or exposed herd investigation, they are not eligible to enter Wisconsin.
  4. No, if you are from areas/states other than that listed in point 1 above, or you are from Canada, you do not need an import permit issued by Wisconsin.

*In previous years, an import permit was required for cattle from regions with active quarantines for vesicular stomatitis (VS). Effective May 2014, import permits are no longer required for VS zones.

 I'm bringing in cattle from Michigan's MA zone, so I need an import permit. How do I get one?

This is usually done by the veterinarian for the exhibitor. Print the import permit application form and follow the directions provided. Fill it out completely - all boxes with an asterisk are required. You need to include the livestock premises code for the Alliant Energy Center, which is 004A6S7. (Thanks again to the Alliant Energy Center staff for letting us post the number here.) Import permits without the livestock premises code will not be processed. Note: the "applicant" who signs the form can be the owner, or it can be the veterinarian or someone from the veterinary clinic staff - it doesn't have to be the owner of the animal(s). When the form is completed, fax or email it along with the signed and dated Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI or health certificate) to (608) 224-4871 or​. When everything is in order, a Wisconsin state veterinarian will issue a permit number, and the permit number will be faxed or emailed back (or phoned, if requested). The permit number must be written on the CVI.

If you have trouble with the process, call the Wisconsin Division of Animal Health import coordinator at (608) 224-4874 Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  Import permits are processed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

 How long are import permits good for?

As long as the test results and Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI, also known as a health certificate) are current, an import permit is good for 30 days from the date it is issued.

 How long does it take to get an import permit?

Once all the required information has been received, an import permit is usually issued the same day. As the deadline gets closer, however, the turnaround time gets longer, so plan ahead.

 When is the best time to apply for an import permit?

While import permits for the World Dairy Expo can be processed at any time starting 30 days before your arrival date in Wisconsin, an excellent time to get in your application is the two-week period between 21 and seven​ days before the start of the World Dairy Expo. Waiting until the last few days is not recommended. We strongly discourage applicants from se​nding in a permit request the same day the exhibitor wants to leave. The application process takes time, and there may be people in line ahead of you.

 How much does an import permit cost?

DATCP does not charge a fee for cattle import permits.

 Can you answer questions about World Dairy Expo fees, facilities, or entry information?

No. Please call the World Dairy Expo at (608) 224-6455 for answers about the Expo itself.