A permit from the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) or the local health department is required before a campground may be operated. There are no exemptions to the permitting requirement for "private," "family-owned" or "not-for-profit" campgrounds.
Campground plan approval is required prior to beginning the construction phase for a new campground and for the expansion of capacity in an existing campground. A campground plan approval application is required to be completed by the operator and submitted with a map of the new or expanded campground to the department or its agent. The map is not required to be created by an architect or engineer.
A Campground is defined as any parcel or tract of land, owned by a person, the state or a local government, which is used for the purpose of providing campsites for:
- Non-permanent overnight use by four or more camping units or
- Non-permanent overnight use by one to three camping units if the parcel or tract of land is represented as a campground. (Note: "Represented as a campground" means to advertise using the media, a sign or a symbol.)
If you intend to expand the capacity of an existing campground, contact us or your local health department to begin the process of approval to operate the expanded portion. An increase in the size of your campground may also change your permit category, which could increase your permit fee.
- Each license issued by the department expires June 30 of each year.
- License dates extend from July 1 of one year through June 30 of the following year.
- If a license is granted after April 1 of a license year, that license will extend to June 30 of the following year.
- Example: If a business is licensed by the Department on April 1, 2017, then its license will expire June 30, 2018.
- Renewal fees for existing establishments shall be submitted to the Department before June 30 each year.
Type of Facility
Annual License Fee
One-time Pre-inspection Fee
Campground 1-25 Sites
Campground 26-50 Sites
Campground 51-100 Sites
Campground 101-199 Sites
Campground 200+ Sites
- To obtain a license through the department, first 608-224-4923 or email our licensing specialists.
- The licensing specialist will get you the information you need and will explain the process steps to you.