Release Date: January 16, 2018
Download as PDF
Media Contacts: Rick Hummell, 608-224-5041 email@example.com
or Bill Cosh, Communications Director, 608-224-5020 William2.Cosh@wi.gov
Wisconsin forestry product businesses interested in building and expanding trade opportunities in China are invited to attend a trade mission to northern China, March 20-30, 2018. Organized by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP), the mission will include visits to four Chinese cities: Beijing, Tianjin, Qingdao, and Guangzhou. At Guangzhou, mission participants will attend Interzum Guangzhou, one of Asia's largest woodworking, furniture production, and interior décor fairs.
China is the largest market in the world for U.S. wood and wood products. American hardwood products totaling $1.35 billion were exported to China in the first six months of 2017, a 27 percent increase compared to the same period in 2016, and American softwood lumber exports to China totaled 2.34 million cubic meters, a 13 percent increase over the same period in 2016.
"Designed for Wisconsin forestry-related businesses, the mission will enable participants to forge relationships with potential Chinese buyers and trading partners, gain market intelligence, and first-hand knowledge of Chinese wood import business practices and environment," said Jennifer Lu, DATCP economic development consultant. "This will be our third forest product-related trade mission to the region. Previously, DATCP led missions to Vietnam in 2015 and to China in 2013."
Mission highlights include:
- In-country business briefings about the Chinese wood industry (provided by USDA Foreign Agricultural Service and Chinese importers);
- Customized one-on-one business matchmaking appointments with prospective customers, distributors or importers in Beijing, Tianjin, Qingdao, and Guangzhou;
- Business site visits to wood products manufacturers and Chinese ports to gain first-hand knowledge of Chinese wood import process;
- Three receptions for networking opportunities with Chinese importers and customers (Tianjin, Qingdao, and Guangzhou);
- Business service support: Assistance with travel logistics including in-country transportation, daily itineraries and interpreters.
The cost to participate is $500 per company, limited to two participants per company. China domestic travel is covered by the mission. Participants are responsible for their own round trip air ticket from Wisconsin to China, hotel accommodations, some meals and incidentals. The deadline to apply is Feb. 20, 2018. Eligible companies must meet Small Business Administration requirements.
To apply, contact: Jennifer Lu at 608-224-5102, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fox World Travel is the designated travel agency for the trip. Contact Nancy Timm at 1-800-236-8678 x 1117 or via email at email@example.com