World Beef Expo FAQs

​​​​​​​​This information is current as of July 14, 2023.

Are there special “import” requirements for bringing animals from within Wisconsin to the World Beef Expo?

No. There are no special test or paperwork requirements for Wisconsin-origin cattle traveling within Wisconsin. However, you will need to meet the entry requirements for the World Beef Expo.

The exception is Wisconsin-origin cattle that have traveled to Michigan's federal Modified Accredited zone within 90 days prior to the start of the Expo. Call (608) 224-4874 from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday to learn more. ​

What are the accepted forms o​​f official individual ID?

Accepted forms of official individual ID, when needed, include a USDA metal ear tag that is part of the National Uniform Eartagging System (NUES) (starts with state 2-digit code, also known as “brite” tag--includes the orange brucellosis vaccination tag), a USDA 840 tag (RFID or visual), or a Canadian AIN RFID 124 tag.  If applied prior to March 11, 2015, a manufacturer coded RFID tag (a 15 digit number with the first three digits in the 900 series such as 980, 982, or 985) or an American ID tag (with an 8-12 digit number prefaced with "USA") is also acceptable.  

Tattoos and registration numbers are not accepted as official individual ID for interstate movement into Wisconsin.​

May I bring in cattle from outside the United States?

Yes. As long as you meet the import requirements established by the USDA, your animals may attend the World Beef Expo. The information can be obtained from the National Center for Import and Export (NCIE). The NCIE’s import center phone number is (301) 851-3300, option 2.​

What are the import rules for Michigan cattle?

There are two sets of regulations for importing cattle from Michigan. One set is for the federal Modified Accredited zone consisting of the following counties: Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, and Oscoda. Those regulations can be found here. The other set of rules applies to the rest of the state, which is the federal TB Free zone. Those rules can be found here

May I sell cattle from Michigan at the World Beef Expo?

For cattle from the counties in the federal Modified Accredited (MA) zone, the previous restrictions are still in place. Cattle from the MA zone may be sold at the World Beef Expo ONLY if the animals return to their state of origin after the Expo and then travel to the new owner on a new CVI (health certificate). Make sure the animals meet the import requirements of the state of destination. 

Cattle from the counties in the federal TB Free zone may be sold at the World Beef Expo with no special procedures.​

Do I need to get an import permit for m​​y cattle?

You will need a permit if you are bringing cattle from Michigan's Modified Accredited (MA) zone, which includes the counties of Alcona, Alpena, Montmorency, and Oscoda.

In previous years, an import permit was required for cattle from regions with active quarantines for vesicular stomatitis (VS). Import permits are no longer required for VS zones. Cattle from quarantined premises are not eligible to enter the state of Wisconsin.

If you are from Michigan’s Federal TB-Free zone or Texas and your animals are not part of a TB-positive or exposed herd investigation, you need to meet the import requirements for your state, but you do not need an import permit. 

If you are from areas/states other than those listed above, or you are from Canada, you do not need a Wisconsin import permit.

Cattle connected with TB-positive or exposed herd investigations are not eligible to enter the state of Wisconsin.

How do I get an import permit?

This is usually done by the veterinarian for the exhibitor. Print the import permit application form. Fill it out completely – all boxes marked with an asterisk are required. You need to include the livestock premises code for the Wisconsin State Fair Park, which is 0033G3P. (Thanks to the Wisconsin State Fair Park staff for allowing us to post the code number here for your use.) Import permit applications without the livestock premises code will not be processed. Note: The “applicant” who signs the form can be the owner, or it can be the veterinarian or someone from the vet clinic staff – it doesn’t have to be the owner. When the form is completed, fax or email it, along with the signed and dated CVI (health certificate), to (608) 224-4871 or When everything is in order, an import permit number will be issued by a Wisconsin state veterinarian and returned​. The permit number must be written on the CVI. Import permits are processed Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

How long are import permits good for?

As long as the test results and CVI (health certificate) are current, an import permit is good for 30 days from the date it is issued.

How long does it take to g​​et an import permit?

Once all the required information has been received, an import permit is usually issued the same day. As the deadline gets closer, however, the turnaround time gets longer, so plan ahead. 

When is the best time to apply​ for an import permit?

While import permits for the World Beef Expo can be processed at any time starting 30 days before your arrival date in Wisconsin, an excellent time to get in your application is the two-week period between 21 and 7 days before the start of the World Beef Expo. Waiting until the last few days is not recommended. We strongly discourage applicants from sending in a permit request the same day the exhibitor wants to leave. The application process takes time, and there may be a lot of people in line ahead of you. 

How much does an import permit cost?

DATCP does not charge a fee for cattle import permits.

Can you answer questions about World Beef Expo fees, facilities, or entry information?

No. Contact World Beef Expo​​ if you have questions about the show.​