Spongy Moth on Your Property

*A new common name for Lymantria dispar, spongy moth, replaced the prior name of this insect, gypsy moth, in 2022. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we transition through the name change process.​ For more information, visit the Entomological Society of America website.​​​​​

Private property owners may have a number of concerns related to spongy moth* (formerly known as gypsy moth). Here is how you can address the primary ones:

If you believe you have found, or have​ confirmed, sp​ongy moth on your property

If you live in a non-quarantined county, call (608) 642-MOTH or email spongymoth@wisconsin.gov. Please provide a name, phone number, and address of your property including township, village or city.

​If you live in a quarantined county, you can learn more about managing spongy moth on yard trees and in your woodlot at spongymoth.wi.gov​.

If you are moving from a quarantined county to a non-quarantin​ed area in or out of Wisconsin

You will need to certify that your outdoor items are free of spongy moth. Get details.

If spongy​ moth trappers or surveyors enter your property

We will try to contact you to ask permission, but if we​ cannot reach you, our trappers and surveyors may enter your property and leave information for you with contact information. Learn more about trapping and surveying.


Back to spongy moth ​page​​