Farm-raised deer imported directly to slaughter must be tested for CWD under the testing standards established by the state of origin.
For cervids imported direct to slaughter, you can use either a state-issued certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) or the federal form VS 1-27. Each form has different requirements.
The VS 1-27 can be obtained from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
If you are using a CVI, the following are required:
If you are using a VS 1-27, the following are required:
- Import permit number -- complete and fax or email the cervid import permit application form along with the VS 1-27
- Two forms of approved individual identification for each animal, at least one of which is official ID
- The seller's name, address and premises code (if any)
- The destination facility's name and address
- Signatures from the issuing veterinarian (include the expiration date and time), owner or shipper and a representative at the slaughter facility
- No additional veterinary statements required