Importing Cervids from Outside Wisconsin

Importing deer, elk, and other cervids into Wisconsin requires an import permit number and a current certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) which includes documentation of tuberculosis and brucellosis testing, and participation in a state-recognized chronic wasting disease (CWD) program for at least 5 years. 

The Import Permit Process

  • Permits are obtained by the veterinarian representing the person selling the cervids to a Wisconsin buyer.

  • Permit processing hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Complete the cervid permit application and fax it along with the completed certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) to 608-224-4871 or scan the documents and email them to​. If the application is incomplete, staff will identify what's missing so you can correct or complete the application. When everything is in order, a state veterinarian will issue a permit number, and the number will be faxed or emailed back to you. Please write the permit number on all copies of the CVI prior to shipment of the animals.

  • It is essential to plan ahead and allow time for processing. Permits are usually issued the same day, but the process may take longer during busy seasons or if the submitted paperwork is not complete. Permits are not issued after business hours or on weekends.

  • For more information on the cervid import process, please call the import coordinator at (608) 224-4874 between 7:45 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

  • For cervid imports from Canada, please call the USDA Import/Export Center at 608-662-0630 for requirements

Importing into a Wisconsin Deer Farm or Ranch


Importing Directly to Slaughter

Farm-Raised deer imported directly to slaughter must be tested for CWD under the testing standards established by the state of origin.

For cervids imported direct to slaughter, you can use either a state-issued certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) or the federal form VS 1-27. Each form has different requirements.

If you are using a CVI, the following are required:

If you are using a VS 1-27, the following are required:

  • Import permit number -- complete and fax or email the cervid import permit application form along with the VS 1-27 

  • Two forms of approved individual identification for each animal, at least one of which is official ID

  • The seller's name, address and premises code (if any)

  • The destination facility's name and address

  • Signatures from the issuing veterinarian (include the expiration date and time), owner or shipper and a representative at the slaughter facility

  • No additional veterinary statements required​