In general, tourist rooming house establishments are vacation homes, cabins, and cottages that are rented out to tourists and transients for a short period of time.
Under a tourist rooming house license, an operator may rent as many as four units (examples: rooms, cottages, or cabins). You will need a hotel license if you rent five or more units.
- Each license issued by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) expires June 30 of each year.
- License dates extend from July 1 of one year through June 30 of the following year.
- If a license is granted after April 1 of a license year, that license will extend to June 30 of the following year.
- Example: If a business is licensed by DATCP on April 1, 2019, then its license will expire June 30, 2020.
- Renewal fees for existing establishments shall be submitted to DATCP before June 30 each year.
|Type of Facility||Annual License Fee||One Time Pre-Inspection Fee|
|Tourist Rooming House (1-4 Rooms)||$110||$300|
- To obtain a license through DATCP, call (608) 224-4923 or email our licensing specialists.
- The licensing specialist will get you the information you need and will explain the process steps.