Tourist Rooming Houses

​​A tourist rooming house is defined as all lodging places and tourist cabins and cottages, other than hotels and motels, in which sleeping accommodations are offered for pay to tourists or transients. It does not include private boarding or rooming houses not accommodating tourists or transients, or bed and breakfast establishments.

In general, tourist rooming house establishments are vacation homes, cabins, and cottages that are rented out to tourists and transients for a short period of time.

Under a tourist rooming house license, an operator may rent as many as four units (examples: rooms, cottages, or cabins). You will need a hotel license if you rent five or more units.


  • Each license issued by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) expires June 30 of each year.
  • License dates extend from July 1 of one year through June 30 of the following year.
  • If a license is granted after April 1 of a license year, that license will extend to June 30 of the following year. 
    • Example: If a business is licensed by DATCP on April 1, 2019, then its license will expire June 30, 2​020.
  • Renewal fees for existing establishments shall be submitted to DATCP before June 30 each year.


​Type of Facility​Annual License Fee​One Time Pre-Inspection Fee
​Tourist Rooming House (1-4 Rooms)​$110​$300


  1. To obtain a license through DATCP, call (608) 224-4923 or email ​our licensing specialists.
  2. The licensing specialist will get you the information you need and will explain the process steps​.​​