Continuing Education Opportunities:
UST Boot Camp
Purpora Engineering is offering UST Boot Camp at their Saukville location May 9 - 12, 2023. The purpose of this course is to provide a thorough understanding of leak detection, cathodic protection and testing relating to underground storage tanks. Industry experts and hands on training provide an intense 3.5 days of learning. Additional information, including how to register, can be found at purporaengineering.com.
The Bureau of Weights and Measures is responsible for the administration and regulation of the Wisconsin Administrative Code ATCP 93 - Flammable and Combustible Liquids. The Bureau’s administrative and regulatory functions include:
- Reviewing of system design pre-installation plans for storage or dispensing system installation, modification or upgrade
- Registration of aboveground flammable and combustible liquid storage tanks
- Permitting and registration of underground flammable and combustible liquid storage tanks
- Inspection of flammable and combustible liquid storage tank systems
- Maintaining the statewide aboveground and underground storage tank database
- Adoption of technical standards
- Credentialing individuals and companies working in storage tank-related specialties
- Administering ATCP 93 Local Program Operator agents
The Bureau of Weights and Measures can be reached by phone at 608-224-4942, option 3, or by email at DATCPStorageTanks@wisconsin.gov. Additionally, a list of specific subject area contacts can be found on our Storage Tank Contacts page.
Secondary Containment Information
DATCP will be enforcing the following secondary containment requirements of Wisconsin Administrative Code ATCP 93 beginning January 1, 2022:
- ATCP 93.500(5)(d) - All existing pipe connections at the top of the tank and beneath all freestanding pumps and dispensers that routinely contain product shall be placed within secondary containment sumps by January 1, 2021. (note: this deadline was extended to January 1, 2022)
- ATCP 93.500(5)(f)(1) - Secondary containment sumps provided under this subsection shall have non-discriminating electronic sensors to detect liquids located in the lowest collection point of the sump, unless approved otherwise by the department.
For many years the Bureau of Weights and Measures has been actively working to inform station owners and operators of the new requirements. Sites that are not in compliance with the requirements after January 1, 2022, will receive an administrative order to bring the site into compliance within 15 days as per ATCP 93.115(3)(c). Sites that do not comply within the allotted 15 days will be red-tagged and subject to any applicable reinspection fees.
Due to the length of time that has passed for some locations since the last onsite inspection, the Bureau of Weights and Measures has created a voluntary self-reporting email inbox for owners/operators to demonstrate compliance with the electronic sump sensor requirements.
To self-report compliance with the electronic senor requirements, please send an email to DATCPWMSensorUpgrade@wisconsin.gov and include the following information:
- Facility ID
- Copy of the electronic sensor installation work order
- Verification of the electronic sensor functionality
- Annual functionality test report
- Installer verification of electronic sensor functionality
- Example of applicable sensor test report
- Any other relevant information
If you received this information in a letter or email from DATCP, our records indicate that your site is non-compliant with the sensor requirement.
For further information on secondary containment requirements, please see these additional resources:
Find a Licensed Service Company or Technician
Storage Tank Database
Click here to go to our searchable storage tank database. If you have questions regarding information in this database, please call 608-224-4942 and select option 3.
Please note: if you need copies of records associated with the information in the database, you must submit a public records request. For more information, please visit our Public Records page.