For more information about field days and other events, visit: https://tinyurl.com/MidwestFarmEvents.
Rice Production Field Day
September 21, 2022 | 2-5 p.m. | Fondy Farm, 9011 W Donges Bay Rd Mequon, WI 53097
| Cost: Free
Do you have an area of your farm that tends to be too wet for crops? Consider how rice production could add to your farm operation!
Michael Schläppi, professor of biology at Marquette University and farmer at Red Stone Rice, has been growing and experimenting with cold tolerant rice at Fondy Farm for more than 10 years. With the help of HMoob growers, Michael is now producing a marketable rice crop. From seed to transplant, harvest, and post-harvest handling, this field day will demonstrate how rice growing systems have been adapted to the climate of Wisconsin, including mechanical and hand-scale techniques used. Hands-on activities will include smoothing a rice paddy and planting seedlings. The first 30 registrants will get to take home a one pound bag of rice grown at Fondy Farm.
Organizers: Marquette University, SARE, DATCP, FairShare, UW Extension, Artisan Grain Collaborative
Language: English with interpretation services offered
- High Tunnel Field Day Tours - Eau Claire Area | July 12, 2022
- Mushroom Production Field Day & Farm Tour - Peshtigo | July 14, 2022
- Organic Weed Control Intensive Field Day - Athens | July 24, 2022
- Cover Crop Field Day - Verona | July 27, 2022
- High Tunnel Field Day Tours - Wausau Area | August 2, 2022
- Reduced Tillage Field Day - Ferryville | August 2022
- Hands-on Food Safety Field Day - Wausau | August 15, 2022