A Recreational and Educational Camp (Rec-Ed Camp) is defined as a premise, including temporary and permanent structures, that is operated as an overnight living quarters where both food and lodging or facilities for food and lodging are provided for children or adults or both children and adults for a planned program of recreation or education, and that is offered free of charge or for payment of a fee by a person or by the state or a local unit of government.
When people think of Rec-Ed Camps they generally associate them with the terms "Summer Camp" or "Youth Camps" where children are dropped off for a week or more at a time. While these type of operations are typical of Rec-Ed Camps, they do not encompass all camp models.
- Each permit issued by the department expires June 30 of each year.
- Permit dates extend from July 1st of one year through June 30 of the following year.
- If a permit is granted after April 1 of a license year, that license will extend to June 30 of the following year.
- Example: If a business is permitted by the department on April 1, 2015, then its license will expire June 30, 2016.
- Renewal fees for existing establishments shall be submitted to the Department before June 30th each year.
Type of Facility
Annual Permit Fee
One-Time Pre-Inspection Fee
- To obtain a license through the department, first 608-224-4923 or email our licensing specialists.
- The licensing specialist will get you the information you need and will explain the process steps to you.