Industrial Hemp Licensing, Registration and Fees

We will open applications for the 2020 growing season late this year or early in 2020. We will make a very public announcement when we have determined the dates for the 2020 licensing application period.​



You are required to have a license to grow or process industrial hemp. The grower license allows you to plant and harvest industrial hemp, if you register to do so. A processor license allows you to store, handle, and convert industrial hemp into a marketable form, if you register to do so. Both are lifetime licenses that you need only get once. If you are processing only hemp that you grow, you need only the grower license.


Growers and processors also need to register annually with the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection annually to continue growing or processing hemp.

Applications for NEW industrial hemp licensees are being accepted between November 1, 2018, and March 1, 2019. Use the forms labeled "first time" in the right hand column here.

Renewing Annual Registrations

If you are already licensed, you can renew your registration or register for the first time if you did not grow or process in 2018. The renewal/registration period will remain open until March 1, 2019. You should have received a registration expiration notice in the mail.  After you have received your expiration notice, you may use your PIN or username and password to log into to renew your annual registration for 2019. The same link is available at the top of the right hand column here. If you are unable to apply for your annual registration online, please see the right side of this page to download the application forms matching your existing hemp license. 

Note: If you are an existing licensee, but don’t plan to grow or process industrial hemp in 2019, you do not need a 2019 registration. 

Background check

Your licensing and registration forms include a consent form to allow DATCP to conduct a background check on the applicant. If the applicant is a business, the background check will be for the operations manager. You will not be licensed if you have any criminal drug convictions, either federal or in any state. 


Grower license (one-time fee)
​$150 (0-30 acres)

​$5/acre (31-199 acres)
​$1,000 (200 acres or more)
Processor license
​No fee
License modification
$50/change (plus fee for additional acreage as listed above)
​Grower registration (annual fee)
Processor registration (annual fee)
​$250/sample and test (each field and variety needs at least one sample/test)

Back to main Industrial Hemp Research Pilot program page