Hemp Program Transition to USDA

Note: ​​​A webinar was held on September 15 for hemp growers to learn how to locate and work with their local U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) office and how to apply for a USDA hemp license. The webinar recording is available at https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/hemp/licensed-producers.​


The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) will transfer primary regulatory authority for hemp production (growers) in Wisconsin to ​USDA on January 1, 2022. 

Nothing is changing for Wisconsin hemp licensees during the 2021 growing season. Growers will continue to work with DATCP on all harvest notifications, sample collection, testing, and final reports until December 31, 2021.

USDA Grower License Application

If you are not covered under a tribal government’s USDA approved regulatory plan​ you must have a USDA license starting January 1, 2022.

How to apply for a 2022 USDA grower license:

  • The USDA website at https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/hemp/information-producers includes information for 2022 Wisconsin hemp producers.
  • You are encouraged to begin your 2022 USDA grower application process now.  
  • If you will be growing through the 2021-2022 winter, begin your 2022 USDA grower application process as soon as possible. 
  • This USDA checklist includes instructions for prospective USDA hemp program applicants.

USDA Hemp Program Contact Information

USDA/AMS/Specialty Crops Program
Hemp Branch
470 L’Enfant Plaza, SW
P.O. Box 23192
Washington, DC 20026

USDA Grower Sampling and Testing

The DATCP program will end on December 31, 2021. Growers are encouraged to have samples collected no later than December 23 in order to have the testing completed by the end of the year. Starting January 1, 2022, if you are a licensee under the USDA hemp program, you are responsible for finding your own sampling agent and laboratory testing facility. USDA does not sample nor test hemp.

You can find a certified hemp sampling agent by going to https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/hemp/information-sampling.

How to find a laboratory to test your sample for total THC:

  • You may use any laboratory that meets USDA minimum performance requirements. Laboratories must test for total THC concentration and report all test results to you and USDA.
  • A list of hemp testing laboratories registered with the DEA (provided by USDA for informational purposes only) https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/hemp/dea-laboratories.  
    • The laboratories included in USDA’s directory may exceed USDA’s minimum performance requirements. USDA’s minimum performance requirements are subject to change. Contact the USDA Hemp Program for more information.
    • This directory is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered an endorsement or recommendation.

All information on the USDA Hemp Program is available at https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/hemp/

Questions may be submitted to farmbill.hemp@usda.gov​; or call (202) 720-2491 for additional information.


Beginning on January 1, 2​022, DATCP will not have the authority to license hemp processors. DATCP will retain the authority to regulate the quality and safety of hemp.  For more information see regulatory resources for hemp quality and safety

Nothing is changing for Wisconsin hemp licensees during the 2021 growing season. Processors will continue to work with DATCP on all final reports until December 31, 2021.