About the Board
Created in 1984, this market order board has nine members who represent some 18,000 corn growers. Its purpose is research, new product development, international marketing, and education.
This board is responsible for the oversight of an annual assessment of about $1.7 million. The assessment is $0.005 or one-half of a cent per bushel of corn.
Wisconsin is a major corn-growing state, and it produced 510 million bushels of corn for grain in 2017 on nearly 2.93 million acres.
About 50 percent of all the corn grown in Wisconsin is used for livestock. Recently, much of Wisconsin's corn is used in ethanol production for fuel. A byproduct of ethanol production, dried distillers grains with solubles, is used in livestock feed. Wisconsin corn also is used as corn sweetener for soft drinks or corn gluten meal for livestock feed. In addition, some of the corn grown in the state enters the world market through the Milwaukee port or is loaded on barges and sent down the Mississippi River.
Wisconsin Corn Promotion Board directors, each of whom serves a three-year term, are:
- District 1: Randall Woodruff, Chippewa Falls
- Douglas, Bayfield, Ashland, Iron, Vilas, Burnett, Washburn, Sawyer, Price, Oneida, Polk, Barron, Rusk, Lincoln, Chippewa, Taylor, Eau Claire, Clark, Marathon, Jackson, Wood, Portage, and Waupaca counties
- District 2: Tom Gillis, River Falls
- St. Croix, Dunn, Pierce, Pepin, Buffalo, and Trempealeau counties
- District 3: Open
- Forest, Florence, Marinette, Langlade, Oconto, Shawano, Door, Outagamie, Brown, Kewaunee, Winnebago, Calumet, Manitowoc, Fond du Lac, and Sheboygan counties
- District 4: Cal Dalton, Endeavor
- Monroe, Juneau, Adams, Waushara, Marquette, and Columbia counties
- District 5: Jim Birchman, Fennimore
- LaCrosse, Vernon, Crawford, Richland, Grant, Iowa, and Lafayette counties
- District 6: Ryan Ripp, Dane
- District 7: Ken Rosenow, Oconomowoc
- Green Lake, Dodge, Washington, Ozaukee, Milwaukee, and Waukesha counties
- District 8: David J. Adams, Lake Geneva
- Jefferson, Walworth, Racine, and Kenosha counties
- District 9: Randy Hughes, Janesville
More information about the board is available by writing to the Wisconsin Corn Promotion Board at N77W24707 Century Court, Lisbon, WI 53089 or phoning (262) 372-3289.
Questions regarding elections may be directed to:
DATCP Market Orders Program Coordinator