Register Now to Beat the No Call List Quarterly Deadline
February 27, 2012
Contact: Jerad Albracht, 608-224-5007, firstname.lastname@example.org or
Jim Dick, Communications Director, 608-224-5020, email@example.com
MADISON - The quarterly deadline is fast approaching for Wisconsin residents to sign up for the state’s No Call List. Numbers added on or before February 29 will be active on the list beginning April 1. This free no call service, offered through the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP), covers both land and cell phone lines.
“The No Call List limits and reduces the number of intrusive telemarketing phone calls that Wisconsin consumers receive,” said Sandy Chalmers, Division Administrator of Trade and Consumer Protection. “Wisconsin residents have registered more than two million phone numbers to the list, and more than half of the most recent entries are cell phone numbers.”
Signing up for the No Call List may also help you spot potential scams.
“If you receive a telemarketing sales call while you are active on the list, that should alert you that the call is not legitimate,” added Chalmers. “If the telemarketer is willing to ignore the ‘no call’ law, what other laws would they be willing to break to get to your money?”
The list is updated four times per calendar year (January 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1). The registration process is continuous, but those who sign up after the upcoming February 29 deadline will not be added to the list until July 1. Consumers must register every two years to stay active.
To add your residential landline, cell phone or VoIP number(s), visit NoCall.Wisconsin.gov or dial 1-866-966-2255. The website and toll-free number are available all day, every day.
If you receive a call in violation of the Wisconsin No Call law, file a complaint with the Bureau of Consumer Protection by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1-800-422-7128.
An updated No Call List is sent to telemarketers quarterly. Violations of the state law carry a $100 penalty per call. Telemarketers are prohibited from making sales calls to numbers on the list, with the following exceptions:
- Calls made to an existing customer - for example, calls from the bank you have a checking account with, your phone company or your credit card company.
- Calls made in response to your written or verbal request or permission.
- Calls encouraging you to make a donation of property, goods or services to a "nonprofit organization."
- Calls encouraging you to purchase property, goods or services from a "nonprofit organization" unless sale proceeds are subject to Wisconsin sales tax or federal income tax.
- Calls made for noncommercial purposes such as polls, surveys and political purposes.
- Calls made to a business telephone number.
- A call made by an individual acting on his or her own behalf, and not as an employee or agent of any other person.
Connect with us on Twitter at twitter.com/widatcp or Facebook at facebook.com/widatcp.