Nursery Growers & Dealers
Veterans: For information on how to apply for License Fee Waiver under Act 209, see Veterans License Fee Waiver Program: 2011 Wisconsin Act 209.
We inspect and license nursery growers and certify nursery stock to prevent the spread of pests. We also inspect sod assuring it is healthy and free of pests and diseases before it is shipped to other states.
You will need a PDF reader to view the application packets, which you can print and mail to us with your payment.
Nursery Licensing: Frequently Asked Questions - 5 page PDF
Understand who needs a license, the difference between a nursery grower and nursery dealer and determine if you might need a Christmas Tree Grower License.
Important Notice for Nursery License Applicants:
Please note that there are several changes to the laws governing nursery licensure in Wisconsin. These changes have been designed to streamline the nursery licensing process, and to clarify common areas of confusion. For most license holders, the changes should not affect the amount of the annual license fee paid.
The same application form is used for nursery growers, nursery dealers and Christmas tree growers.
The licensing period remains the same, Feb. 21 through Feb. 20 of the following year.
Some of the changes that may affect you are:
- All nursery licenses are now split. The Nursery Grower License will no longer act as an “umbrella license”. Applicants who have previously held a Nursery Grower License and also did business as a nursery dealer or Christmas tree grower under this license will now need to hold separate licenses for each business activity.
- Nursery Dealer locations are now combined. Applicants no longer need to hold a separate license for each location, store or selling premises. All locations may be licensed under one license number. Nursery Dealers whose total gross annual purchases of nursery stock for the previous fiscal year were greater than 2 million dollars will now pay a percentage for their license fee instead of a fixed amount.
- There will be no more “Inactive” license status. If you do not renew your license annually, it will be closed upon expiration. Applicants who wish to obtain a license after a period of no registration will need to re-apply for their license.
- Nursery Grower License: If you are planning on growing and selling at least $250 in nursery stock during the year, you will need to obtain a Nursery Grower License.
- Nursery Dealer: If you are planning on purchasing and re-selling at least $250 in nursery stock during the year, you will need to obtain a Nursery Dealer License.
- Grower and Dealer: If you plan on growing and selling at least $250 in nursery stock during the year AND you plan on purchasing and re-selling at least $250 of nursery stock, then you need both nursery licenses. An example is if you have a nursery where you grow nursery stock and you also have a garden center where you purchase then sell supplemental nursery stock.
- Christmas Trees: If you plan on growing and selling Christmas trees, then you need to obtain a Christmas Tree Grower License. The same application is used for Christmas Tree Grower License, the Nursery Grower License, the Nursery Dealer License, or any combination of the three license types.
Nursery License Application Form - 5 page PDF
Use the same application for either a Nursery Grower License, a Nursery Dealer License, a Christmas Tree Grower License or any combination of the three license types.
The Nursery Dealer and Nursery Grower License Application for individual applicant/sole proprietor - 3 page PDF
This is a Nursery Dealer and Nursery Grower License example application for individual applicant/sole proprietor.
The Nursery Dealer and Nursery Grower License Application for a company such as a Corporation or LLC
- 3 page PDF
This is a Nursery Dealer and Nursery Grower License example application for a company such as a Corporation or LLC.
The lists of licensed Wisconsin nursery growers and nursery dealers are updated on or about the first of each month. Because of recent changes in our licensing laws, nursery growers who also raise Christmas trees are listed here and under the Christmas Tree Grower License list since those growers are now required to carry both licenses. For those who raise Christmas trees exclusively, please see our Christmas tree grower page.
Wisconsin Licensed Nursery Growers Listing - Excel Spread Sheet
Updated May 8, 2013
Wisconsin Licensed Nursery Dealers - Excel Spread Sheet
Updated May 8, 2013
Nursery Inspectors (1 page PDF)
There are nine nursery inspectors in Wisconsin, each with a specific territory. Updated January 14, 2013.
Call 608-224-4572 or email for more information.
Shipping or Exporting Nursery Stock
When Wisconsin plants, nursery stock or landscape trees and shrubs are shipped to another state or country, the destination location may require that the plants or plant products be inspected and certified as free of insects or diseases. The certification is often called a phytosanitary certificate and may be provided by DATCP or USDA.