- Stan Senger, Environmental Quality Section Chief, 608-224-4519
- Matt Laak, Agrichemical Storage and Spill Response, 608-224-4518
- Mae Mapes, ACCP Reimbursement, 608-224-4522
- Jason Lowery, ACCP Technical Info, 608-224-4515
- Trevor Bannister, ACCP Technical Info, 608-224-4514
Atrazine Use Restrictions
There are restrictions in place to protect Wisconsin's ground and surface water supply. This rule is more restrictive than Federal product labels.
- All herbicides containing atrazine are included:
AAtrex, Atrazine, Axiom AT, Basis Gold, Bicep Lite II Magnum, Bicep II Magnum, Buctril+atrazine, Bullet, Degree Xtra, Extrazine II, Field Master, FulTime, Guardsman, Harness Xtra, Harness Xtra 5.6, Laddok S-12, Lariat, LeadOff, Liberty ATZ, Marksman, Ready Master ATZ, Shotgun, and other products with atrazine listed as an active ingredient on the label.
- Allowable rates are based on soil texture and prior use on field. Refer to rate listed below.
- Do not apply before April 1 or after July 31.
- All handlers and applicators must be certified.
- Use only on agricultural row crops and in forestry.
- Applicator must complete a record on day of application for each field treated. Record:
- name of applicator
- name and address of farmer (if different)
- field location
- date and time of application
- brand name of product
- manufacturer or EPA registration number
- application rate
- size of area(s) treated
- location where product was loaded into sprayer
- Keep records for three years.
Atrazine Application Rates
An additional amount of atrazine may be applied on seed and sweet corn if a rescue treatment is needed as long as the total annual amount does not exceed 1.5 pounds on coarse soils and 2.0 pounds on the medium/fine soils.
Field SurfaceSoil Texture
|Atrazine product used on field last year
||Atrazine product not used on field last year|
Any field that is 25% or more sand, loamy sand, sandy loam
loam, silt, silt loams, sandy clay loam, clay loam, silty clay loam, sandy clay, silty clay, clay, peat, muck
|*Pounds of atrazine active ingredient per acre per year|
Statewide Irrigation Restrictions
Do not apply atrazine products through irrigation systems. Irrigation is prohibited on any field for two years after an atrazine application unless an irrigation scheduling program is used.
Atrazine Prohibition Areas
The Department has county maps showing exact boundaries of prohibitions areas, or you can contact pesticide dealers or county extension agents.
For questions on atrazine use restrictions, please call 608-224-4502 or send an email.