Consumer Law at Your Fingertips
The Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS) regulates charity solicitations under Wisconsin Statutes chapter 440 (subchapter III).
- Includes charity solicitations by telephone, mass media, mail, door-to-door or other means.
- Charity organizations must register with DRL and file annual financial reports (some exemptions apply).
- Professional fund raisers-must register and be bonded.
- Professional fund-raisers must have written contracts with charity organizations. Contracts must include specified provisions.
- Professional fund-raisers must keep records and must account for funds raised.
- Persons engaged in charity solicitations must make disclosures to prospective contributors.
- Persons engaged in charity solicitations must refrain from unfair and deceptive practices. They may not misrepresent the nature or purpose of the solicitation, or the amount that will be donated to charity.
For more information, see Consumer Law topic, Charity Solicitations.