Consumer Law at Your Fingertips
Companies must be licensed to manufacture or label pesticides for distribution in Wisconsin, regardless of whether the company is located in Wisconsin or manufactures pesticides here. The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) licenses and regulates pesticide manufacturers.
- Pesticide products must be registered with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). EPA registers pesticides and pesticide labels for specific uses. Pesticide labeling must conform to the EPA registration. Federal and state law prohibit sale or use inconsistent with label directions.
- In exceptional cases, DATCP may register pesticide products (not registered with EPA) to meet special local needs in Wisconsin. Special local needs registrations must comply with Wisconsin Administrative code section ATCP 29.72.
- Some pesticides are registered as restricted-use pesticides that may only be used by certified applicators.
Records and Reports
Pesticide manufacturers and labelers must keep the following information, and provide it to DATCP upon request:
- Names and addresses of persons supplying pesticides to the manufacturer or labeler, and the kinds and amounts of pesticides received.
- Names and addresses of persons receiving pesticides from the manufacturer or labeler, and the kinds and amounts of pesticides distributed to each person.
- Pesticide labeling.
- Relevant pesticide information including chemical identity and properties, lab methods used to detect the pesticide, and toxicology and environmental fate.
Pesticide manufacturers and distributors must comply with laws related to pesticide storage, transportation, sale, handling and use. For more information, see Consumer Law topic, Pesticide Laws and Enforcement.