Consumer Law at Your Fingertips
Mail & E-Mail Solicitations
Mail & E-Mail Sales Practices
The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) regulates unfair and deceptive business practices. DATCP has adopted rules for mail and e-mail sales. DATCP rules:
- Require disclosures to consumers.
- Prohibit deceptive sales practices.
- Provide a 3-day right to cancel.
- Prohibit unauthorized withdrawal of funds from consumer accounts.
- Regulate prize offers.
- Require timely delivery of ordered merchandise.
DATCP rules regulate mail solicitations to Wisconsin consumers, regardless of where those solicitations originate. The rules apply to mail, e-mail or fax solicitations, but do not apply to catalog sales (other laws may apply). Violators may be prosecuted, and there is a private remedy for consumers. For more information, see Mail & E-Mail Sales Practices details.