Consumer Law at Your Fingertips
The Landlord-Tenant Relationship
Wisconsin Statutes chapter 704 spells out the general responsibilities of landlords and tenants. Responsibilities are determined, in part, by the rental agreement between the parties. No state agency is responsible for enforcing ch. 704. Chapter 704 addresses the following subjects, among others:
- Rental agreements.
- Types of tenancy.
- Terminating a periodic tenancy.
- Failure to pay rent.
- Tenant damage to premises.
- “Untenantable” premises.
- Illegal termination by landlord.
- Landlord’s maintenance responsibilities.
- Tenant’s maintenance responsibilities.
- Use and possession of premises.
- Tenant’s personal property.
For more information, see The Landlord-Tenant Relationship details.