Consumer Law at Your Fingertips
Itinerant Sales Practices
- The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) has adopted rules for itinerant sales, including door-to-door sales and promotional meetings (see Wisconsin Administrative Code chapter ATCP 127). These rules do not apply to sales at the seller’s regular place of business, or at an established public market such as a farmer’s market. The rules :
- Require disclosures to consumers.
- Prohibit deceptive sales practices.
- Provide a 3-day right to cancel.
- Prohibit unauthorized withdrawal of funds from consumer accounts.
- Regulate prize offers.
Rule violators may be prosecuted, and there is a private remedy for consumers. For more information, see Itinerant Sales Practices details.
- Counties, cities, towns and villages may regulate itinerant sellers under Wisconsin Statutes sections 59.55 and 66.0423. Check with your local government.