advertising & sales claims
The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) regulates unfair and deceptive business practices. DATCP rules regulate the telemarketing of consumer goods and services. DATCP rules:
- Require disclosures to consumers.
- Prohibit deceptive sales practices.
- Prohibit unauthorized withdrawal of funds from consumer accounts.
- Regulate prize offers.
- Prohibit calls to consumers who have asked the seller not to call.
- Prohibit calls before 8AM or after 9 PM.
- Prohibit calls to consumers listed on Wisconsin’s “no call” list.
DATCP rules apply to telephone solicitations aimed at Wisconsin consumers, regardless of where the calls originate. Violators may be prosecuted, and there is a private remedy for consumers. For more information, see Consumer Law topic, Telemarketing.