Consumer Law at Your Fingertips
advertising & sales claims
- Wisconsin Statutes section 100.18 prohibits deceptive advertising and sales practices, including deceptive savings claims.
- The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection regulates unfair business practices. DATCP has adopted rules for price comparison advertising:
- The rules apply to claims like:“50% off,” “Save 1/3,” “Half-price sale,” “Was $20, now $5,” “$50 value, now $15” or “$20, compare elsewhere at $45.”
- The rules prohibit phony savings claims. Comparison values must be based on actual sale prices, bona fide offer prices, future prices or representative competitor’s prices in the trade area.
- Violators may be prosecuted, and there is a private remedy for consumers and competitors.