Specialty Meat Development Center
The Wisconsin Specialty Meat Initiative continues the legacy established by our state’s sausage and cured meat makers. Our goal is to promote the quality, taste, and tradition synonymous with Wisconsin’s specialty meat. In addition, we aim to expand our state’s reputation as a purveyor of the finest meat that people love, trust, and desire.
The Specialty Meat Development Center is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to growing specialty meat businesses in Wisconsin. Our Meat Enterprise Assistance Team offers a wide array of consulting services including:
- Business Development: Assistance will focus on business development and expansion. Designing business/marketing strategies including financial analysis, cost analysis, and projections.
- Product Development: The Development Center will encourage new products and will have the capacity to assist with formulations and process verification. Partnership with UW-Extension and the Meat Science Departments at UW-Madison, UW-River Falls and UW-Platteville will contribute to this component’s success.
- Labeling and Packaging: This encompasses both label design and product packaging in an effort to ensure the widest appeal to consumers and in order to differentiate clients’ products from their competitors.
- Market Development: Industry experts will provide assistance in researching and understanding marketing channels, targeting new customers in new segments and non-buying consumers in existing segments.
- Food Safety and Quality: Experienced consultants, in collaboration with DATCP’s Division of Food Safety, will work with clients on sanitation practices, storage/shelf life, and best practices in ensuring product safety.
Contact: Jeff Swenson 608-224-5082 or Bob Andorfer 920-680-3984