Poultry, Domesticated Waterfowl and Game Birds
This information is current as of April 15, 2016
IMPORTING POULTRY, DOMESTICATED WATERFOWL AND FARM-RAISED GAME BIRDS FROM OUTSIDE WISCONSIN
- Certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) with physical destination address OR form VS 9-3 (Report of Sales of Hatching Eggs, Chicks and Poults) for animals from flocks enrolled in the NPIP
- Participation in the NPIP or equivalent program and flock classification as “U.S. pullorum-typhoid clean” (all poultry except turkeys) or “U.S. pullorum-typhoid clean” and “Mycoplasma gallisepticum clean” (turkeys)
- Testing requirements:
- Negative individual tests by species within 90 days prior to import for test-eligible birds (turkeys 6 months and older, all other poultry 4 months and older)
- All fowl must have a negative individual test for pullorum (fowl typhoid)
- Turkeys must also have a negative individual test for Mycoplasma gallisepticum
- All turkeys less than 6 months of age and all other poultry less than 4 months of age must originate from a salmonella-pullorum certified flock
- Tested birds must bear individual identification: a poultry leg band or wing band bearing a number that uniquely identifies the bird
- The birds must not change ownership between the testing date and the import date
- Other statements on the CVI
- Import permit number
Turkey poults less than six months of age may not be imported into Wisconsin unless they originate directly from NPIP-participating hatcheries (or equivalent state status) which hatch no eggs other than turkey eggs.
Started poultry other than turkey poults may be imported if they originate from NPIP-participating hatcheries (or equivalent state status) which hatch no turkey eggs.
Hatcheries shall comply with sanitation practices prescribed by the state of origin.
Importing Directly to Slaughter
For poultry, domesticated waterfowl or farm-raised game birds imported directly to a slaughtering establishment for immediate slaughter do not need to meet the paperwork or testing requirements.
MOVING POULTRY, DOMESTICATED WATERFOWL AND FARM-RAISED GAME BIRDS WITHIN WISCONSIN
For requirements to move or sell poultry, domesticated waterfowl or farm-raised game birds within Wisconsin, please visit the Poultry page.
EXPORTING POULTRY, WATERFOWL AND FARM-RAISED GAME BIRDS OUT OF WISCONSIN
Wisconsin does not have specific export requirements for poultry, domesticated waterfowl or farm-raised game birds. Please contact the state or nation of destination
to learn the import requirements.